Tuesday 27 January 2009

Wot no 2008?

Generally I feel that petty excuses for patheticly poor performance are an embarassment for all concerned; the excuser doesn't want to hear them, the excusee knows this but somehow feels compelled to put forward anything other than the frank admission that "I'm crap".

I, wait for it, am crap. There you go; that's your lot; enjoy it.

It would appear that at some point during the last year my garage has been visited by a person, or persons, carrying a large spoon, who has proceeded to stir the whole place up.

Anyway, yesterday I managed to excavate down through several layers of tool and equipment strata to reveal a partially built folding boat and a number of pieces of plywood. A router, bits, a pair of saw-horses and a large slab of MDF were also recovered and within an hour of so I had a makeshift workbench (I've only ever had a makeshift workbench, so this is as good as it gets) with the partial body of a boat lying akimbo upon it.

The bits of plywood that I found were the retaining battons that will be used to hold the hinge material in place. I'd already cut them out but in order to prevent damage to the stitched hinge they had to be rounded off. This would have been an easy task with a router table but unfortunately I'd lent it to a friend so I was forced to use my 1/4 inch router and run the cutter over the ply manually. Much clamping, adjusting, re-clamping and stooping followed, at the end of which I have a set of rounded battons and a touch of back-ache.

Never mind, we're back on the build. Hurruh!

The battons need to be varnished. Huroo.

No comments: