Wednesday 28 January 2009

Displacement Activity

Good news - the last two evenings I've got out and slapped a coat of varnish on the battons and keel. The first coat was a dream because I thinned it down with white spirit. This evening's efforts were more like hard work because I was back smearing treacle about the place; mostly on the wood but also on my clothes, in my ears, hair, nose etc.

One more coat and I'm calling it a day as my aim is to fit the hinge material this weekend. For some reason I'm more than a little intimidated by the prospect of this operation and I fully expect to find some sort of displacement activity to divert my interest; with my family it shouldn't be too difficult.

Bad news - a little over a year ago I was, to be frank, bragging about my son being at the top of the class for maths. Well by now I should realise that pride comes before a fall; yesterday I was hauled into school to be told that he's in the bottom three. Thats some turnaround. It has something of the British ecconomy about it. I'm at a loss to explain it, his exercise books are rammed with high marks and he never seems to struggle with his prep. It's certainly a puzzler.

My boy's new but not particularly improved 'ranking' is based upon an exam that the whole class recently sat. I was shown his paper and it made for quite depressing reading. We've come up with an action plan and I'm fairly confident that we can address the issue, hopefully without the little chap being too put out. Ah, could it be I've found my displacement activity already?

Nice.

No comments: