Tuesday 19 June 2007

Domestic bliss

I'm now the proud owner of four main body panels and a keel. The cutting process was simple enough as the four panels are identical and this allowed me to clamp four half sheets of plywood together and cut the lot with two passes.

My eight year old son came out to assist with this task and, much to my surprise, was actually very helpful. Before cutting, he sorted the plywood and decided which sheets should be used for each particular panel and observed "Those two sides should be on the top because they look really nice", he then went on to say "The grain on those is really attractive; they'll look really good varnished". Attractive wood grain? Varnish? Who is this child?

Still, the varnish idea comes as a bit of a blow to morale - I was going to paint the thing.

So anyway, there we were cheerfully cutting the panels with the lad (wearing a dust mask) running around clamping things where necessary and supporting the weight of the sheets, when in walked an angry wife. Apparantly I was messing up her garage and she made her point in a clear and unambiguous manner. As you might imagine I didn't take this development particularly kindly and pointed out that I felt the garage was my domain; boat building in the living room was, I conceeded, unacceptable but the garage seemed an entirely appropriate location. At this point Eight-Year-Old-Son was removed by Angry-Wife and sent to do Piano-Practice; thus it came to pass that the sins of the father were visited upon the son. A lively discussion ensued but I launched a spirited defence of my position. I made a number of excellent points, cited precedents and eventually I carried the day. Hurruh!

Ten minutes I also carried all the boat building stuff out of the garage, swept up and went indoors to apologise to my now far less angry wife. Hurroo.

I helped the boy with his music practice and we then both went out and completed the cutting just before the thunder storms predicted in the Met' Office's Severe Weather Warning arrived.

The day's boat building tasks were sucessfully completed.
The boat is now a 'father and son' joint venture.
Family life was restored to normal.
Sovereignty of the garage was determined.
Husband neutered.

Domestic bliss.

No comments: