Thursday 21 June 2007

A good day

My boy arrived home today and announced that he had been put up into the top group for maths ("It's just me and the three smart kids!") and he'd passed his swimming personal survival test (they have to swim a certain distance wearing jeans, a shirt and a jumper, pick up bricks, tread water for so long etc). Not a bad skill to have if you're building a dinghy with your dad.

Bill sent through his latest plans for Flapdoodle III, which meant that I didn't get much achieved at work today. Back home I managed to get some boat building done and was back indoors in time to catch 'My Name is Earl' on the telly.

A good day

On the boat building front, I've noticed that when cutting a number of plywood sheets with a jigsaw, the top two sheets are OK but the end of the blade wanders a bit if a larger stack is attempted. With hindsight it's obvious but I've still managed to make the mistake and thought it worth mentioning. Although the wander isn't severe and will sand out easily enough, in future I'll be sticking with two sheets at a time.

Bill Weller, the boat's designer, recommends using a rotary saw; If I had one, I'd definately ditch the jigsaw altogether.

No comments: