Saturday 7 July 2007

A love of the game

Today started out a bit rough. After just four hours sleep the night before, I had to entertain the kids (for "entertain" read "keep-them-out-the-way-of-their-slightly-hungover-mother"). So off we went to the beach and cooked a breakfast of pancakes, maple syrup and strawberries over my old spirit stove, while sat on the shore. Then it was time to build sand castles (we're talking a functional moat and a driftwood drawbridge here), go paddling and explore the rock pools (thankfully the tide was almost fully out when we arrived) before ice-creams and home. The children had a great time.

Five hours of full-on sleep-deprived childhood fun and adventure left me feeling a little worn so I was quite pleased in the afternoon when my good friends Yatje and Tristan came over for a quiet visit. We had a really nice time chatting on the lawn. A broad range of subjects were explored from post-vasectomy testicular bruising to french rugby-player's bums. To be fair this is Yatje's particular area of expertise and something that neither Tristan or myself feel qualified to comment on, although we didn't let this get in the way of offering a fair few comments.

I recommend a visit to Yatje's blog even though, in my view, she has recently developed a less than healthy fascination with the aforesaid franco-buttocks (in womanspeak this is described as "A love of the game" - visit the blog and make up your own mind). Tristan also has a blog on the go - more Audis, less rugby related male physiology.

Today saw no varnish!

So, all in all, after an inauspicious start, one of the most pleasant days I've had in a long while.

3 comments:

yatje said...

In my defence, they are mostly anglo+franco+italian buttocks that arouse and hold my interest in, and indeed dedication to, the game!

Lovely to see you on Saturday though, soulmate, thanks for keeping us amused, you'd've never guessed you'd had so little sleep.

But one thing: where's that lovely little photo you were going to put in your profile? bisous :)

Olivewah said...

To be fair, I wasn't trying to suggest that it was the French-ness of the buttocks that made the fascination unhealthy, more the buttocks themselves. Indeed, I feel that it is the right of any woman (or man) to develop a-love-of-the-game regardless of the colour, or creed, of the buttocks in question. Never let it be said that I am any kind of buttock-ist xenophobe. What I'm trying to say is: adding English and Italians as potential objects of your interest doesn't necessarily make that interest healthy.

Glad we've sorted that out.

I was indeed shattered when you arrived at the weekend (the unshaven, unwashed and un-groomed appearance might have given it away), but, what can I say? The sight of you both cheered me immensely; you are clearly a tonic.

Do you think the world is ready for that photo?

yatje said...

Dear Professor Olivewah,

I read with interest your thesis on the relative merits of various national posterior appendages and their latent contribution to a ‘love of the game’. However, I find your conclusion that this issue is 'sorted' somewhat facile and one which would seem to fall short of any essential and rational understanding or indeed discussion of the matter.

Moving on though, I must say I never noticed anything remotely unshaven, unwashed or ungroomed since you refused to demonstrate publicly your other topic of discussion. ;p

But if the photo to which you refer is that charming little smiling scamp I saw on the bookshelf, then the answer is wholeheartedly: YES! Please put him up there in your profile, it will brighten all our days.

Yours sincerely, ever-devoted (and not at all unhealthily-obsessed), yatje