Saturday 16 June 2007

Starting out


© Bill Weller

For some time now (probably since reading Swallows and Amazons about a million years ago) I've wanted a small boat.

To be honest a dinghy wasn't really a very practical proposition because storage and trailering were going to be a problem for me. Car-topping something very small was an option but not a particularly favourable one because I'd want to make occasional solo trips and damage to myself, my car and the dinghy all seemed likely consequences.

During my search for a solution I missed buying a folding dinghy (a Seahopper) for £50 by a couple of minutes. A couple of minutes! I was spitting feathers, not just because I'd come so close to achieving an ideal solution, but also because now I'd need a folding dinghy. Nothing else would do.

Research revealed that obtaining satisfactory plans and parts for an attempt at a home-build would be 'a non-trivial exercise'. At the time the firm that made the Seahopper also sold kits but for me they were prohibitively expensive so further research for a more affordable option was required.

Eventually I turned up several public domain plans, the most promising of which was an old 'Science and Mechanics' design called 'Handy Andy' (click here to take a look at the plans). As it stood the design was probably alright but I couldn't find any records of anyone actually building one and I wanted something that was a bit more like the Seahopper that had caught my imagination - a keel with a daggerboard case, a pram bow and a sailing rig would all be on my wish list. In true Blue Peter fashion I went to work with old cornflake packets and sticky tape (Biddy Baxter would be proud) to try and work out a design that inspired me with enough confidence to start building a full size prototype. Much trial and error (mostly error) followed and eventually I decided that although I do have some skills, I'm no Marine Architect.

Then, by a lucky chance, I stumbled across a link to a website offering plans for a folding dinghy for about £23 - http://www.flapdoodledinghy.com/. The seller, Bill Weller, accepts Paypal and very soon I was in possession of a very thorough set of HTML building instructions. As it turns out Bill is a very approachable and helpful individual who is dedicated to his design and the community of builders on the Net (click here to visit the Y! group). Bill's obvious enthusiasm is both contagious and inspiring so....we're boat building.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's looking good! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Bill

Anonymous said...

I'm actually about a week from finishing a Handy Andy. The instructions definately left out some details but I think it will work pretty well (fingers crossed).

Dave

Olivewah said...

Dave,

Sorry for taking so long to acknowledge your comment. It's been about a week, so how's your project coming along? I'd really like to know how you get on.

Rob

Anonymous said...

I put it in the water the other night and had one little leak (that I think I fixed). I'm planning on testing it out really we tomorrow morning and taking some photos and video of the test. I'll post them here when I have them up. I haven't tried folding it since adding the fabric to the sides so I'm hoping that it's not too tight. Either way it looked great in the water the other night. So far I'm really happy with the results. Stay tuned :)

Dave

Anonymous said...

I put it in the water the other night and had one little leak (that I think I fixed). I'm planning on testing it out really we tomorrow morning and taking some photos and video of the test. I'll post them here when I have them up. I haven't tried folding it since adding the fabric to the sides so I'm hoping that it's not too tight. Either way it looked great in the water the other night. So far I'm really happy with the results. Stay tuned :)

Dave

Anonymous said...

It worked! I built a little website to show it off. The video of the test can be seen at http://www.fishnfold.com/videos.php

Thanks,
Dave